I made quite a few banana breads in my life, but I think I might just have found the perfect recipe for a banana bread you just cannot go wrong with. It’s simple, it’s not too bad for you, and it’s delicious! If you want to make it even more healthy, exchange some of the flour in the recipe for protein powder.
This is what you need to make The Best Banana Bread:
Olive oil to grease the tin
250 g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
3 ripe bananas
125 g butter
2 large free-range eggs
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg (my secret ingredients – well not so secret any more!)
2 tablespoons runny honey
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
2. Grease a 1 litre loaf tin with the olive oil and dust it with a bit of flour to cover it and tap out the excess.
3. Peel the bananas and add to a mixing bowl. Use a fork to mash the bananas. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey to the bananas.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the butter creamy, then add the eggs and mix together.
5. Add in the flour and the banana mixture, just mixing until combined.
6. Put the batter into the loaf tin, then put in the hot oven for around 40 minutes until a skewer comes back clean when poking it.
7. Let the loaf to cool, then cut into slices and serve!
I like a nice piece of banana bread as an afternoon snack. It’s not as bad for you as any other slice of cake as the only sugar in the loaf is from the honey and the natural sugar in the bananas. It might not be totally guilt free, but without a bit of a treat, what would life be?!
The banana bread loaf is also great to bring to a picnic as you can keep it in and transport it easily in the tin. It’s quote a filling cake and would go perfectly with other picnic teats. I brought my latest banana bread to work though, as it’s just as a delicious treat in the afternoon at your desk with a nice cup of tea.